|St.Philip Parish Church
Haz Zebbug Malta was a parish before 1436, but the first church was built earlier with the money donated by the Sicilian Filippo in 1380 and finished in 1412. The present church was built between 1599 and 1632 and enlarged by Tommaso Dingli in 1660. The side aisles were added in 1913. Dedication date: 13th May 1729. On the right side of the church is an Oratory which used to serve as a chapel but nowadays is used for storage.
This church, built before 1575, was the venue of a procession which used to leave the parish church on the feast of the Annunciation, when Mass was then celebrated by the parish priest. Though ordered closed down by the Bishop in 1658, in 1667 it was still in use. Fr Julius Zammit, nephew of Fr Mariano Zammit, rebuilt this church between 1693 and 1699. The heirs of Fr Mariano (who was buried in this Church), provided a bequest for its maintenance recorded in the acts of Notary Benedetto Vassallo in 1696. It is well frequented by the public though Mass is celebrated here only once a year.
|Assumption Ta' Galtier
This church, which stood on the road leading to Mdina, was founded and endowed by Giacomo Agius before 1575. Its name is derived from the nickname of Pietro Agius, a relative of the founder. In 1667 this church was canonically deconsecrated.
Assumption Ta' Mamo
One of the archetectural jewels by Lorenzo Gafa. The original chapel was originally dedicated to Our Saviour. First built in 1514 by Xmun Mamo, this church was rebuilt in 1608. In 1658 it was deconsecrated and rebuilt as we see it in 1685, the belfry being added in 1845.
|Assumption Ta' Mania
A small and old Assumption church was built after the plague of 1592-93 near the one dedicated to St.Roque (see further down). It was rebuilt between 1598 and 1608 through an endowment by Giovanni Pisani. Though it was closed for liturgical worship in 1658, it continued to function, as Cleric Saviour Balzan promised to look after its needs. In fact, in 1685 he himself bequeathed an endowment for its upkeep, the deed being recorded by Notary Antonio Pullicino. This church had just then been rebuilt on a plan prepared by Lorenzo Gafa. Its altar piece was painted by Paschal Buhagiar. It was still standing in 1866 according to A Ferres' book.
Assumption Hal Muxi
In 1575, popular devotion looked after the needs of this church. In 1608, its structure was too old and its closing down was imminent. Some repairs must have been carried out because it continued to function. Angelo D'Amato, sometime before 1658, made an endowment for the celebration of the seven feasts of Our Lady in this church, and a few years later presented a new altar piece. By 1723, a new church had been built replacing the old one. Everyday Mass is celebrated here nowadays.
|Chapel Hal Mula
Ms Angela Xuereb left her farmhouse property to be used for religious purposes. A chapel was built at the site by the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary in 1980. It serves the population of the area.
At '12th May' Band Club.
This is a Perpetual Adoration Chapel and is open 7.00am to 9.30pm daily.
|Immaculate Conception Ta Scamardi
Built in 1677 by Fr JohnPaul Azzopardi son of Giovanni and Paolina after the plague, it is also known as the Annunciation. Giovanni provided it with sufficient endowment for its maintenance as detailed in the records of Notary Benedetto Vassallo in 1677. It is built in a beautiful Doric style with a magnificent ceiling with plan attributed to Lorenzo Gafa, but sadly nowadays, together with the titular picture,it is fast deteriorating and it just serves as a store for festa decorations.
|Our Lady tal-Abbandunati
This church commonly known as tal-Abbandunati Our Lady of the Abandoned was built in 1758 by Father Paschal Azzopardi in Hal Dwin, now part of Zebbug. He also endowed it with an ecclesiastical living in 1758. This deed was recorded by Notary Girolamo Bonavita. Inside one can find the remains of St.Innocent. This church belongs to the family of Manduca Azzopardi.
|Our Lady of the Angels
Built by Fr.M.Buttigieg (who had left the profession of Doctor to take Holy Orders) on G.A.Psaila's plan and finished in 1787, this church was blessed by Bishop Labini. The titular and only picture is by Rocco Buhagiar. It has two sacristies, one on each side, and a dome which was recently restored.
|Our Lady of the Eucharist
Recently built as a pastoral centre. Sometimes Mass is celebrated here. The statue on the altar was donated and has a monstrance for exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, hence the name given.
|Our Lady of Grace ta' Godor
In 1575, Angelo Attard, the owner of the field in which an Assumption church was situated, looked after its needs. In 1615 it was falling in ruins and were it not for the intervention of Simon Attard, who offered to rebuild it, it would have been totally obliterated. This work was completed before 1621, and from this date onwards its dedication was changed to Our Lady of Grace, however its feast, till 1776 continued to be celebrated on the 15th August. During that year permission was given for the feast to be held on the 8th September as the Assumption feast was commemorated both at the parish church itself and in another small church at Zebbug . Near the church is a statue of Our Lady dating from 1843.
|Our Lady of Light ta' Cassis Nardu
Fr Leonardo Bonavia was the founder of a church dedicated to the Visitation, built before 1575. AIthough Bishop Fra Tomaso Gargallo sanctioned its canonical deconsecration in 1588, it was still open to public worship till 1658. During that year however it was definitively closed. The parish priest and members of the clergy, during the Pastoral Visit of 1736, requested the Bishop to authorize its rebuilding, they also presented a plan for the new church. On giving his approval, Bishop Alpheran agreed also that this new church was to be dedicated to Our Lady of Light, its feast being held on the second Sunday of November. The existing church dates from 1738 and was blessed in 1740. In WWII some damage was caused to the belfry but it was repaired soon after the war. This church is held in great veneration by the locals who see to all its needs.
|Our Lady of Sorrows
This octagonal church built by tDr Baldassare Debonis in 1740. He died five years later and was buried in it. It was given the title of Basilica by Pope Benedict XIII. It has two doors and is very ornate from the outside having a small parvis overlooking the street. The altar is made out of marble. Mass is celebrated here on each of the seven feasts of Mary.
|Our Lady of Sorrows
About 1722, Balthassar Debono built a church on a site previously occupied by another church dedicated to the Assumption. He also endowed it with an ecclesiastical living providing for its upkeep as detailed in the records of Notary Ignatius Debono on the 5th November 1714. The feast of Our Lady of Sorrows was held here on Friday preceding Palm Sunday, while on each first Friday of the month a special service including a sermon used to take place.
|Our Lady Security from the Fire of Hell
A church, in honour of Our Lady in this unusual title was built at Zebbug through the bounty of Fra Marino Buttigieg who also endowed it with an ecclesiastical benefice which received ecclesiastical approval in 1778. The Sodality of Priests, established at Zebbug, was left in charge of this church as specified in its founder's last will.
Purification of Our Lady Hal Dwin
Nicholas Galea endowed this church and looked after its needs in 1575. On its feast day, the parish priest, clergy and people of Zebbug used to go in procession to this church, where Mass was celebrated. When it was closed to public worship, its altar piece was transferred to the parish church where, according to documents, it was still hanging in 1672.
Sacred Heart of Jesus
This Sanctuary, opened in 1986 for the spiritual welfare of the population in the area, has ample parking space and lies on the north side of Zebbug on the road to Rabat.
According to A Ferres, a church of this dedication existed in the limits of Zebbug in 1780, but by the time he was writing his book in 1866, the church did not survive.
In the area of Wied Qirda, a church dedicated to St.George was being restored in 1575 according to Mons.Dusina's report. Sadly this chapel is nowadays lost.
Built in 1430 and rebuilt in 1675, this wayside chapel lies in a country road half way to Mdina. A small belfry with a cross on top of the facade was removed for safety reasons. Nowadays used by an Orthodox denomination.
Built in 1794, this chapel was part of a small hospital for elderly people in Zebbug. Later on the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart became responsible for the running of the hospital which also included an orphanage. Later they turned it into a home for a small number of elderly women. At one time it fell out of use but presently it is being refurbished with the intent of opening an upscale retirement home. For a retirement home the chapel's actual name of The Death of St Joseph sounds a little incongruous.
Built during the plague of 1592 by Tommaso and Katerina Vassallo, this chapel is 24ft long and was in use up to 1959. In 1980 it was given to the society 'Din l-Art Helwa' which took care to restore it and change it into a cultural museum for the town. The ceiling is held up by a set of three arches.
|Visitation Wied Qirda
In 1575 Nicholas Vassallo, who owned the garden within which this church was built, was duty bound to look after its needs. The conventual chaplain Fra Gio.Fee Abela, had particular devotion towards this church. In 1621, it was stated that he used to visit it very frequently and provided for its maintenance. Sometime before 1634 a new altar piece was made. Cleric Bartolomeo Magro rebuilt this church in 1675. It contains a statue of St.Anthony which is very popular with the population. Its founder was buried in it in 1722. The titular picture done by Suor Maria De Domenico is kept in the sacristy of the Parish church but the rest of the paintings have been lost. The church itself was fast deteriorating until lately when a couple donated the funds for some restoration and celebrated their marriage vows there.