|St.Mary Star of the Sea Parish Church
Sliema became the summer resort for Valletta people in the middle of the 19th century. At first the small church of Our Lady of Grace (see further down) was sufficient for the needs of the people residing in the area, but when the population increased a new church was built in 1854 and dedicated to Our Lady Star of the Sea 'Stella Maris'. In 1876 the church was enlarged and two years later Sliema became a parish. Dedication date: 28th Nov 1899. During WW II it was hit in an air-raid but the damage was repaired after the war.
|1854 church||1922 inside|
The Chapel Of St.Elizabeth School of the Franciscan sisters of the Sacred Heart is open to the public for Mass daily.
The Ursuline sisters opened a creche at #3 Stella Maris Street in Sliema in 1894, but the house was too small for their needs. Mons.Isidoro dei Conti Formosa acquired a piece of land where he built the present church and convent for the sisters in 1904. Marriages may be celebrated in the church.
|Jesus Of Nazareth Parish Church
The Church Of Jesus Of Nazareth was built by Marchese Ermolao Zimmermann Barbaro Di San Giorgio and it was dedicated in 1895. In 1908 it was given to the Dominican friars and in 1925 works on its enlargement started. After suffering some bomb damage during WWII, it was rebuilt. It became a parish church in 1973. Dedication date: 2nd July 1895. Archbishop Cremona was pastor here for a time.
|The pre WWII church|
|Our Lady Auxiliatrice
The Salesians came to Malta in 1903 and took up residence in Sliema, being entrusted with the running of St.Patrick's Salesian School which Comm. Alfonso Maria Galea had built for the education of boys sent to the Institute by the Government. The chapel of the Institute which was built and blessed in 1908, is within the parish of St.Gregory the Great. It is open to the public and all Masses are celebrated in English. Marriages may be celebrated in the church.
|Our Lady Of Grace
A plot of land was donated by the owner Miss Giovanna Salvaloco to the cleric Salvatore Grungo for this purpose of building a church to replace 'Madonna della salute' - 'Our Lady of Safe Voyage' ruined by French troops (see further down). Built in 1802, in it are buried the remains of two priests and a layman brought from the old church of 'Madonna della salute'. The new church served the spiritual needs of the few people resident in the area every Sunday with a priest coming down from Birkirkara to conduct the services. With the building of the Parish Church of Stella Maris, this little church fell into disuse. When Malta was under British rule, this chapel was frequently used for marriages of personnel from the British forces. After excavation adjacent to it in the early 2000's, cracks appeared in the dome and wall but the church was duly restored by those concerned. Nowadays it is used for marriages and exposition of the Blessed Sacrament.
|Our Lady of Safe Voyage Ta' Cortin
Commonly known as Madonna della salute - Our Lady of Good Health, it was first dedicated to the Nativity of Our Lady. This was the first church in the Sliema area built before the Great Seige of 1565 during which it was badly damaged when occupied by Turkish soldiers. It used to stand on Dragut Point which formed part of Birkirkara parish till the dismemberment of Sliema in the 1800's. Facing Valletta, it was deconsecrated in 1659. Rebuilt around 1741 through the bounty of a renowned silversmith, Michele Pianta and rededicated to Our Lady of Safe Voyage in the beginning of the 18th century thus giving its name Tas-Sliema to the place itself. During the French Blockade, in 1798, it suffered irreparable damage and was never rebuilt again.
|An old 'map' from the late sixteenth century showing the bastions of Valletta just built and the church by itself in the middle of the other peninsula across Marsamxett harbour.|
|Our Lady of the Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish Church - Sacro Cuor
In 1872 a priest from Valletta, Rev.Paul Vella, built a church in Sliema with the idea of dedicating it to the 'Sacro Cuor' - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. In 1881 the church was given to the Franciscan Friars Minor, and in 1918 It became a parish church. The first church which had a flat roof, did not have enough space for the increasing population, so between 1930 and 1939, the ceiling was changed into a vaulted one and the church extended at the front changing the facade completely. Extensive damage was caused to one side of the church by enemy bombing of WWII. This was repaired soon after the war and in 1969 work was started on the dome. In 2006, a special Perpetual Adoration chapel 'The Lord is my Rock' was built in the basement. It is open daily from 8.00am to 9.30pm.
|St.Gregory the Great Parish Church
Mgr.Mauro Caruana O.S.B., long cherished the idea of building a church in Sliema dedicated to St.Gregory the Great. The foundation stone for this church was laid on the 20th August 1923. The church was finished in 1940 and it became a parish church on the 22nd December 1940. Dedication 11th Oct 1949
This is the church of the Jesuit community. Built around 1881, the church of the community, until lately served the nearby residents with Sunday Mass. These last few months (2008) have seen a rapid deterioration of the church structure.
Comm. Alphonse Maria Galea built an Oratory, the 'Iuventutis Domus', in front of St.Patrick School in 1907. Marriages may be held in the Oratory.
Holy Trinity Anglican
Built in 1866 for the Anglican community, it has a rectory attached to it.
|St.Luke Garrison church
This Garrison Church at Tigne Barracks was finished in 1910. It was designed and built by the Royal Engineers and consists of a chancel, two aisles, nave, vestry and organ chamber; triple chancel arch with capitals of pillars, a stone reredos of Corinthian order, with three panels; a stone altar rail pierced with Maltese crosses, and chancel floor of red tiles with white marble steps. Entrance doors were provided on the North, South and West sides. The very attractive interior had space to seat 400 worshippers. Though the congregation was made up mostly of military men and women, civilians from the surrounding area also used it as their place of worship. By 1936 the community at St. Luke's was very active but during WWII the church was badly damaged, so the troops in the area attended the services at the Holy Trinity Church, in Rudolph Street. However, very shortly after the end of WWII St. Luke's had been repaired and re-opened. Two paintings by Giuseppe Cali were placed in the church, St.Matthew and St.Luke. After the withdrawal of the British forces from Tigne Barracks in the 1970's, the chapel ceased to be used for worship and became a sports club HQ. However, a large-scale development scheme for the whole of the Tigne peninsula was started by the Maltese government in 2000. St.Luke Garrison Church will be retained and since the area in future years would contain a sizeable population it was decided that St.Luke would re-open as a Roman Catholic church for the new inhabitants. Meantime it is being used by the property development company as a sales office for the new apartment buildings being constructed on the site.
|Early 20th century|