|Sta.Venera Parish Church
The old church of Sta.Venera was given to the Carmelite friars in 1912, and six years later it became a parish church. Because of the rapid increase of population in the locality the friars decided to build a new church on the main road to Mdina. The foundation stone was laid on the 6th October 1990, and the new church is now the parish church of the locality. In the Parish Centre (basement of the church), there is also a Perpetual Adoration Chapel.
|Plan of facade|
|Sta.Venera old Church
The first church was built in 1473 enlarged in 1500 and rebuilt between 1658 and 1688. The present building which is still in use is from the 1800's and has some Giuseppe Cali paintings. It abuts a Carmelite friary and college for boys.
|Adoration Chapel Chateau Lonz
As one enters this building, in a small vaulted basement, one can nowadays spend some time in adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.
Early 20th century chapel in Canon Bonnici Institute.
Chapel Chateau Lonz
A building willed to the Carmelite friars on condition they use it for spiritual purposes. Part of the building was turned into a chapel dedicated to the Saint and the rest into a theatre / cinema. The Chateau Lonz for quite a while served as the parish centre until the new parish church was built.
|Our Lady of the Rosary
In Apap Institute built in 1954 by the Dominican sisters. The titular is by Willie Apap and depicts two Saints of the Dominican Order in front of Our Lady with Baby Jesus.
Built in the early 20th century as part of the Cini Institute for homeless girls, this beautiful chapel lies in the courtyard of the institute and not visible at all from the main road just a few meters away. The conservatory was built at the initiative of the founder Adelaide Cini while the present church was built through the efforts of Ms Mary Zammit and blessed on the 16th Oct 1919 by Bishop Mons Don Mauro Caruana. In this church lie the remains of the foundress. The complex is run by the sisters of St Vincent De Paul.
|Sacred Heart Church|
|Pictures by Max Farrugia|
St.Joseph Institute was founded by Mgr.F.Bonnici. At first the boys of the Institute lived in a house in Hamrun, but it was soon realized that the house was too small and through the efforts of Rev.George Bugeja a plot of land was acquired from the Government to build the Institute. The church was added at a later date to replace one standing close by since the 1700s. For a short period the Christian Brothers took care of the institute but today this is being done by the Missionary Society of St.Paul. Dedication date: 14 th May 1916.
An earlier church dedicated to St.Joseph existed further down the main road opposite where the Wignacourt aqueduct ends. No trace of it remains. It gave its name to the locality, that was 'Casale San Giuseppe' (Village of St.Joseph) in the early 1800's and which locality later changed its name to 'Hamrun'.
The first stone of this beautiful chapel was laid in 1876. The chapel is central to a well designed institute complex for poor girls Vincenzo Bugeja Conservatory.