|St.George Parish Church
Qormi was one of the ten parishes which was already in place in 1436. A small Annunciation church near the old parish church, already in existence in 1575, was demolished before 1588. Its site was incorporated in the building of the new parish church, and substituted by an altar in the same church. When the rebuilding of the latter was taken in hand the former was demolished in 1585 and its site and stones were incorporated in the new structure. The present church is the third one built on the spot. It was built in 1585 and enlarged to cruciform shape with the dome added in 1684. Dedicatioin date: 6th May 1731
This small Annunciation church abutting on St.Andrew church, already mentioned in Mons.Dusina's 1575 report. It was in a dilapidated state a few years afterwards namely in 1588. In 1615, the people of Qormi offered to rebuild it but till 1621 it was still a total ruin. Leonardo Galdes rebuilt this church and bequeathed an endowment for its feast stipulated in the records of Notary Gio Francesco Zammit on the 3rd December 1647. The patrons of the church of St.Francis de Paul, (see further down), which had been built on the site previously occupied by the church of St.Andrew, caused serious troubles when the Annunciation church was demolished in 1759. They were reluctant to have a new one built there. It was finally rebuilt in 1798. Nowadays it is not in use.
The parish priest of Qormi used to take care of an Assumption church which in 1575 was near his own residence. In 1634 orders, prohibiting all form of worship in this church, were given.
Another Assumption church stood in the vicinity of a Nativity of Our Lady church. Giorgio Ciantar in 1575 was duty bound to provide for the celebration of its feast. When in 1656 it was closed to public worship, an altar was erected in the Nativity of Our Lady church as its substitute.
This church, mentioned by Mgr.Dusina in 1575, was in a sorry state in 1601, but was rebuilt in 1644. Nowadays it is used for catechetical instruction.
From time immemorial in the area there was a church which was always a centre of popular devotions. The original church now turned into a sacristy was built around 1500. In 1560 a new church was built, but it was destroyed by the 1693 earthquake. It lies on the border with Zebbug and for a time its location was disputed as either being in Zebbug or Qormi territory. The Treasurer of the Order of St. John, Fra Christopher Mangodoin, in 1690 paid for the building of the present church. The unusual twin porticoed loggias on either side were added in 1699 to provide shelter for pilgrims.
|The original church now serving as a sacristy|
The only mention regarding this old church in the 1575 records resulted from a reference to an ecclesiastical living whose rector at that time was Don Leonardo Abel. It is not included anywhere else in the records of Pastoral Visits.
Assumption Ta' Qrejca
Already standing in 1575, the present chapel was raised by Baron G.Cassia in 1650. Formerly the popular pilgrimage to the seven churches dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary ended at this church. It was in a sorry state and in danger of collapsing until 2009 when it was being restored.
|Assumption Ta' Staino
Don Pietro Cassia decided to build a church during the last decades of the 16th century in the cemetery of the parish church. It was commonly known as 'Ta' Staino'. In 1656, like many other small churches, it was closed to public worship.
In the 16th century Palazzo Stagno there is a chapel whose remarkable feature is an ornate ceiling. The palace was lately scheduled as a Heritage building by the authorities.
In the Madre Margherita old age home run by nuns of the same denomination.
The chapel was opened in 1973 for the benefit of the faithful residing in the neighbourhood by Archpriest G. Frendo.
The chapel was opened in the late 1990's for the benefit of the people living in the new housing estate.
Opened in 2001 by Archpriest F.Abdilla.
This is the chapel of the Augustinian Sisters in St.Bartholomew Street.
|Nativity of Our Lady il-Fuqqanija
This Assumption church was re-dedicated to the Nativity of Our Lady before Mgr.Dusina's report of 1575. From 1588 the church became commonly known as Our Lady of Victory. In 1634 a bequest on its behalf was provided. However in 1656 its canonical deconsecration was sanctioned because of its state of ruin. Popular devotion helped to rebuild it, the work being carried out before 1686.
|Our Lady of Consolation Tac-Cintura
A group of the same name opened this small chapel in a vaulted basement near the Nativity of Our Lady (Vitorja) church.
|Our Lady of Perpetual Help
Opened in 1910 for the spiritual needs of the people of the locality, nowadays it is not in use.
|Our Lady of Sorrows
The Chapel of the female section of the M.U.S.E.U.M. serves the spiritual needs of the people in the area.
Built in the beginning of the 16th century facing West, the present edifice built from monies left by Agostino Bonavia, is from 1678 and faces East.
|St.Francis de Paul.
St.Francis de Paule was built around 1707 by F.Casha and his son and left as benefice for the family. It was rebuilt on the plan of Indri Psaila later on in the 19th century. There is the date 1887 on the rim of the dome. During WWII it served as a food store. Nowadays it is not open to the public and is only used by the owners. (See Annunciation further up).
According to the Inquisitor Dusina's report of the 1570's, there used to exist, quite near the St.George Parish Church, a small church of St.Michael close to the one of the Annunciation.
The first chapel on this site was built in the 15th century. It was in a bad state when Mons.Dusina visited in 1575. The present building was raised in 1656 by Father Pietru Casha. Nowadays it is in regular use especially for Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.
|St.Sebastian Parish Church
With the old church of St.Sebastian not coping with the population growth in the locality, a larger church was built not very far away. Dedication date: 19th Jan 1986.
|Modern parish church of St.Sebastian|
|St.Sebastian Old Parish Church
In 1880 a small church dedicated to St.Sebastian was built not far from a statue of the saint which had been erected as an act of thanksgiving after the 1813 plague. The church became a subsidiary parish church in 1918, and a parish church in 1936. Inside one can find a painting by Lazzaro Pisani. A Chapel dedicated to Jesus of Nazareth can be reached through the sacristy door which lies at the side of this church.
|Old St.Sebastian parish church|
|Door to Jesus of Nazareth Chapel|