Nadur
HOME
Towns and Villages. Index
NADUR
Sts.Peter & Paul Parish Church
The parish was established by Bishop Davide Cocco-Palmeri in 1688. Until the new parish church was built, the Immaculate Conception shrine (now part of Qala) served as parish church. The baroque parish church we now have stands in front of a sizeable village square with an old stone cross at the other end. Its foundation stone was laid in December 1760, however the facade and aisles were built at the beginning of the twentieth century on a design by the renowned Maltese architect Francesco Saverio Sciortino. Consecrated in 1867, it became Archipresbyterial in 1893 and was established as the third Collegiate of Gozo in 1894. The church was bestowed the title of Basilica on 26 June 1967. The paintings on the dome and on the ceiling, by Lazzaro Pisani, depict episodes from the lives of Saints Peter and Paul. Other paintings are by R.Buhagiar, G.D'Arena and G.Vella. The titular is of the Mattia Preti school. The church is clad in marble and also has a sculpted pulpit and a beautiful Way of the Cross also in marble. There are also 33 stained glass windows and an onyx presbytery.
The church in the 19th century
Chapel
Within the Nadur premises of the M.U.S.E.U.M. catechism group founded by St.George Preca, there is a chapel.
Our Lady of Carmel
The Franciscan Sisters of The Sacred Heart have a chapel of this dedication in their monastery.
Sacred Heart of Jesus
Started in 1902, this church was built by Fr Joseph Vella and opened in 1910. It is run by the Franciscan nuns of the Sacred Heart, an order which was founded in Gozo in 1880.
St.Blaise San Blas
In his 1598 Pastoral Visit, Vicar General Anton Bartolo, recorded a church dedicated to St.Blaise down in the valley close to the shore. During this visit it was already found abandoned. From subsequent visits, we find the chapel in ruins and in 1750 when Nadur already had its parish church, nothing was left of this chapel except the foundations which used to be located in a garden of the same name - 'San Blas'. In time the road from Nadur down to the sea including the whole valley was known by this name.