Mgarr-Malta
HOME
Towns and Villages. Index
Mgarr
Assumption Parish Church
The small village of Mgarr had a church which dated from the 15th century. In 1579, Paolo Cumbo founded here an ecclesiastical living known later as tal-Berqux. Its rector, among other duties, had to celebrate in this church the Marian feasts of the Assumption, Nativity, Purification, Annunciation and Visitation. In 1898 Mgarr became a Parish and the people started building their present church around the small chapel in 1918. The stone column with a cross on top called Salib tad-Dejma (which denoted the meeting place for Maltese defenders in the early middle ages) was dismantled and re-erected on one side of the new church. The dome was completed between 1935 and 1946. Elliptical in shape, it hints how the funds came from farmers' produce especially eggs. When the new church was ready, the old one was dismantled. The inside of the church is still bare and austere in the beginning of the third millenium, but the parishioners know how to embellish it especially for important feasts. A Perpetual Adoration Chapel also exists in the semi-basement of this church and has different opening schedules for Summer and Winter.
Old parish church Old church decorated for feast New church being built
Inside the plain dome
Assumption parish church Lit for festa
High Altar and Titular Titular of the old church
Perpetual Adoration chapel
Chapel
Even through World War II, the Maltese kept a deep faith. In a recently re-opened wartime shelter, this is shown in a place set apart for a small chapel where the people of Mgarr could pray even during an enemy air raid. This shelter is situated quite close to the parish church and is accessible to the public from a restaurant called 'Il-Barri'.
Chapel
A private-use chapel was built by Principi Niccolo Sayd around 1530 within his property at Santi area of Bingemma hills. His wife Angela was buried there and so were family up to the turn of the twentieth century when around 1907 it fell into disrepair. Today one cannot distinguish the chapel from a pile of rubble.
Chapel
A private chapel of unknown dedication in an abandoned small palace called 'Ta Chalie' within the limits of Mgarr.
Nativity of Our Lady Zebbiegh
Built before 1636 and deconsecrated by Bishop Balaguer. Lost.
Our Lady of Itria tat-trieq, tal-Ittra or tal-Itrija
The title, an abbreviation from the Greek Hodigitria (She who shows the way) was given to a portrayal of Our Lady pointing her finger to her Son. The Church is situated on the top of the cliff overlooking Mgarr at Bingemma. It was built in 1615 by Gio.Maria Xara at Bingemma Ridge over prehistoric tombs that existed in the caves of the ridge. About 1685, a new one was built substituting the previous church which had been closed to public worship in 1658, The new chapel stood a few yards away from the site of the first one, its benefactor was Stanislao Xara. Nowadays it is served by the community of Priests from St.Agatha, Rabat (M.S.S.P.)
Our Lady of Itria church
St.Agatha
Mentioned existing in the Tower of St.Agatha over Gnejna bay in the Mons.B.Rull report of 1762. In 1866 it is again reported standing by A Ferres in his list of Maltese and Gozitan churches.
St.Anne Zebbiegh
The need of a new church was felt when the area on the outskirts of Mgarr at Zebbiegh began developing and a few years ago Archbishop Mercieca blessed the foundation stone of a new church to be dedicated to St.Anne. At present (2006) Masses are celebrated in the sacristy while the main building is close to completion.
Modern church of St.Anne at Zebbiegh
St.Michael Archangel
Found abandoned by Bishop Belaguer in 1636. Existed at Wied Gerzuma on the way to Rabat. Lost.


St.Peter
Bishop Molina in 1678 found this church had been already demolished for a hundred years. It used to belong to the Ferriolo family.