Marsaxlokk
HOME
Towns and Villages. Index
Marsaxlokk
Our Lady of Pompeii Parish Church
During the 19th century Marsaxlokk became a popular summer resort and a church dedicated to our Lady of Pompei became the parish church of the locality in 1897. Built in 1892, it was at first dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary. Dedication date: 17th Sept 1962
The first parish church 1940s being completely rebuilt
Chapel
Perpetual Adoration is held in the Chapel of the sisters 'Domus Mariae' and is open to the public Monday to Saturday during certain hours.
Chapel
Within the Vendome Tower built by, and named after Prince Philip de Vendome as part of the coastal fortifications in 1715. Nowadays it is the headquarters of the Marsaxlokk Football Club.
Our Lady of Snow
The present church was built in 1833 on the site of an older church built in 1650. In 1933 the church and the building adjacent to it were given to the Discalced Carmelites to be used as a centre for vocations for the Order. Nowadays it is open as a retreat centre as well. Marriages may be celebrated in the church. The area adjacent to the church was always sacred even before Christianity. Archaeological digs unearthed a temple to the Punic god Astarte, later used by the Romans for their gods. Still later it was also turned into a Byzantine Basilica. (see 'Troglodytic & Siculo Norman' page)
Church of Our Lady of Snow
Our Lady of Sorrows
Chapel in Jesus of Nazareth Instiute.
St.Dominic
The noble Testaferrata family built Palazzo Marnisi in 1650 and the St.Dominic chapel in 1683.
St.Lucian
A chapel was mentioned existing in the tower of the same name by Mons B.Rull in his report of 1762.
St.Nicholas Hal Ginwi
In 1650, Mr John Francis Gauci rebuilt an older church which existed on this site of the village of Hal Ginwi now part of Marsaxlokk.
St.Paul Shipwrecked Xrobb l-Ghagin
Dedicated to St Paul's shipwreck and built in 1740 by Elizabetta Muscat Cassia Dorell it was later abandoned. It was rebuilt in 1831 by Marchioness Angelica Moscati Cassia Dorell. The chapel has a belfry but no bell. A square window stands above a stone cornice which decorated the door to the church. It was restored in 1931 by Angelo Muscat Cassia Dorell. This is a chapel situated on private property and is nowadays not even visible for the high growth of trees which surround it. From what can be seen it seems to be deteriorating rapidly again.
Earlier years
St.Peter (Dominican Martyr)
Finished and blessed in 1682 on the plans of Lorenzo Gafa. It was extended in 1865 and in it are buried several of the members of the family who owned it.