|St.Andrew Parish Church
In 1492 there was a small chapel at Luqa dedicated to St.Andrew. This chapel was substituted by a church built between 1539 and 1542. When the village became a parish on the 15th June 1634, through the efforts of the first parish priest a new church was built and completed in 1686. It was enlarged between 1693 and 1737. Bishop Labini consecrated it on the 7th December 1783. Betweem 1901 and 1910 the church was further enlarged, but was nearly completely destroyed by enemy bombing during WWII it being so close to the airport. It was rebuilt between 1945 and 1954 and consecrated by Archbishop Gonzi. Dedication date: 7th Dec 1783; Re-dedication 26th Sept 1962.
|St Andrew church in the 1920s|
|WWII destruction||Titular picture||Parish church of St.Andrew|
The chapel was first built in the 15th century and the priest in charge was obliged to celebrate Mass and chant Vespers on the feast of the Titular, afterwards distributing flatbreads to the poor (Hence the nickname). Rebuilt in 1613 it has its titular of the Assumption painted by Giuseppe D'Arena in 1679. Twin to this church is the Nativity of Our Lady. See further down.
|Assumption on Left; Nativity on Right||Assumption church tal-Ftajjar|
Built before Bishop Gargallo's 1600 visit when a cemetery for plague victims was built near it. In 1771 Bishop Pellerano ordered its dismantling because it was nearly in ruins. Please see the section about cemeteries for information about the cemetery near where this church used to be.
A Chapel for Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament exists in Carmel street and is open daily 7.00am to 7.00pm.
During WWII, all over Malta, Air raid shelters were hewn out of solid rock. In many instances, a small room was reserved as a chapel. This one is found at the Luqa public shelters with its altar forming part of the rock itself. One entrance to this public shelter was discovered by young members of the local band club in the cellar of the premises. The titular sculpture over the altar was missing but the youths traced it to a family. One of the members of this family who was the sculptor himself, had removed it after the war. These youths sought permission to take a cast of the original and that's what there is now over the altar.
Information by Andre Zammit who was one of the youths who made the discovery.
A private chapel in the Ghammieri area.
|Nativity of Our Lady Hal Farrug
Two churches of this dedication existed near Hal Farrug. One which existed before 1575, is mentioned in the 1762 Mons. B.Rull report. This church does not exist any more. Another, also from before 1575 is mentioned. Antonio Lauda, from Birgu, was then duty bound to celebrate the titular feast, while Girolamono Piscopo had to see to the celebration of mass on each Sunday and feast day in one of them. This church, though very old, continued to function throughout the 18th century. In 1941 Governor Dobbie asked Bishop Caruana for permission to dismantle it to make way for another runway.
|The old Nativity of Our Lady|
|Nativity of Our Lady Hal Farrug (Recent)
The British vacated some buildings in 1979. A pastoral centre and a chapel were built for the new Maltese tenants and blessed by the pastor in September 1992. The modern titular picture is by Richard Caruana.
|Nativity of Our Lady Tal-Ftajjar
Also commonly known as Our Lady of Victory, this church was duly functioning in 1575. It was closed for worship in 1656 but was later reopened. In 1774, the celebration of Mass in this church was definitely banned. In 1992 it became a centre for pastoral activities. Twin to this church is the Assumption. See further up. Still another church dedicated to St.Nicholas once abutted these two churches, all three being mentioned by Mons.Dusina in 1575. This chapel is lately in the process of restoration.
|Door to Nativity of Our Lady on the Right|
|Our Lady of Carmel
The church was built in 1784 and rebuilt in 1848. It was demolished in 1942 to make way for an airport runway. The present chapel was built in another spot with the money given as compensation, and blessed in 1958 as part of a Parish Centre. The canvas of Our Lady of Carmel is from the old church and was done in 1897 during Fr.Karm Vassallo's tenure as rector.
|The 1958 Our Lady of Carmel|
|The old church and its architect|
|After the air raid|
This chapel was built in 1892 in the St Vincent de Paul Hospital for the aged. It can accommodate 600 people. In 2004 it was in the process of being restored.
|Chapel of St.Vincent de Paul Hospital|
Another sizeable chapel in St Vincent de Paul Hospital in the Ruzar Briffa complex.
|St.James Hal Fuqani
The church was first built in 1550 in the village of Hal Fuqani now part of Luqa. In 1613 it was deconsecrated but dedicated again in 1623 after it was rebuilt. Recently restored it has its titular picture by Raphael Bonnici Cali.
The Imbroll family built this church before 1575. Near it there was another one dedicated to St Anthony. During the Pastoral Visit of 1644-46 it was still functioning. Later however it was demolished as its site was needed for the building of the new parish church.
|THE AIRPORT CHAPELS / CHURCHES
With the commencement of WWII in September 1939, Luqa became a Royal Air Force Station and most of the civilian employees left. During the toughest time in November 1942 the number of personnel at Luqa was 4,350 Airmen, 770 Soldiers and 600 civilians. After the end of the War in January 1948 an extensive building program of the area began with the erection of Barrack Blocks, Married Quarters for over eighty families, and an Airmen's Mess. Later on, two Churches were added. It was decided to build a Station Church at the entrance to what was known as the Domestic Site and by March 1955 the church was ready for use. Dedicated to St.Christopher, it was intended for use by members of the Church of England and the Free Church.
Nativity of Our Lady
A Roman Catholic Church dedicated to the Nativity of Our Lady was also built on the Domestic Site at the Airport around WWII. Unlike St.Christopher, Marriages were not performed here for service personnel.
Our Lady of the Airways
When the British Forces started to cut down on personnel, St.Christopher fell under the control of Air Malta. It became the Airport Chapel and was renamed Our Lady of the Airways.
With the new International Airport buildings being opened in 1992, a new airport chapel was incorporated and the dedication of Our Lady of the Airways transferred there. The New chapel of the new terminal can be found next to the atrium. It is always open and Mass may be also celebrated there if required.
Nativity of Our Lady
When Air Malta no longer needed the land containing the old church building of St.Christopher's, it was handed over to the Armed Forces Malta becoming part of Luqa Barracks, the Church being reopened for Roman Catholic worship and renamed the Nativity of Our Lady.
|St.Christopher / Our Lady of the Airways / Nativity of Our Lady|
|Our Lady of the Airways in the NEW terminal|