|Transfiguration Parish Church
Lija became a parish on the 6th February 1594 and a hundred years later the present church started to be built. It was dedicated by Bishop Labini on the 25th July 1782. The first stone of this Church was laid on the 20th May 1694 and the building was completed in six years. It was planned by the Maltese architect Gianni Barbara who was the architect of the Church of St.James in Valletta (1712), most of the fortifications of Floriana (1725) and the Arch of Sa Maison (1738) amongst other works. The church has two belfries which were added in 1709. The church was modified again in 1780 and is now cruciform. It is rich in paintings by Cali, Favray, Zahra and even by the Mattia Preti school.
|Transfiguration parish church|
|The Saviour Old Parish church
This church was the parish church of Lija in 1594 before the present church was built. It was designed by Glormu Cassar of Valletta fame. Nowadays it is used to house religious exhibitions. A smaller church dedicated to St Roque and St Sebastian stood adjacet to this church and was dismantled to make way for the building of the side aisles. In the present parish church, there is an altar dedicated to these Saints who protected the people of Lija from the Cholera of 1813.
|Annunciation ta' Zebbug
In the neighbourhoods of Hal Mann, this church is recorded in 1601 when Leonardo Agius of Balzan used to have Mass celebrated on the feast day. It had a wooden triptych which represented the Annunciation and St Joseph and continued to function till 1658.
Annunciation ta' Zuna
In 1575, it is stated that Julian Vella was the founder of this church which stood on the way to Attard. Its canonical deconsecration followed in 1659, but it was reopened to public worship at the request of the Grand Master Nicholas Cottoner who, till his death, used to have Mass celebrated here every Saturday. In 1667, it was once more closed down. In 1755 a stone statue representing St Joseph with the child Jesus was placed in front of the site where this church once stood.
Assumption / Annunciation Ta' Bieb Ninu
This church was already dedicated to the Annunciation in 1575. Later however, it is referred to as an Assumption church. It was eventually closed to all form of worship in 1658. During the middle of the 18th century plans for its rebuilding were in the offing but were shelved as it was deemed more convenient to proceed with the rebuilding of St Peter's church.
Immaculate Conception Ta' Brincat
The founder of this church of the Annunciation in the village of Brinkat now absorbed by Lija, was Pancrazio Agius who was still alive in 1575 and was then in charge of it. Its deconsecration was decreed in 1618 but Domenico Agius nicknamed 'Marrubia' promised to remedy for its needs and even rebuild it. He kept his word, and by 1647 the new church was ready but from then on it was dedicated to the Immaculate Conception.
|Nativity of Our Lady tal-Belliegha
In 1575 this church was dedicated to the Assumption of Our Lady, and continued to function till 1658 when it sustained the fate of a previous church before it. In 1666, however, it was formally reopened. It was rebuilt somewhat away from its original site in 1740 and the feast of the Nativity of Our Lady began to be celebrated in it when its dedication was definitively changed.
|Nativity of Our Lady ta' Duna
Marino Portelli, nicknamed 'Id-duna', from Lia, was the founder of this church. The records of Notary Angelo Bartolo, dated 25th July 1569 , give the details of its foundation. In 1575 its building had already reached completion. Although closed to public worship in 1658, it was rebuilt in 1755. Fr Saviour Micallef and his brother Fr Michael defrayed the expenses involved in its re-building. The titular was painted by Michele Busuttil.
|Nativity of Our Lady Hal Mann
Mons. Dusina included this church in his report of 1575. On the 13th June 1593 Giovanni Cuschieri provided a bequest for this church which was recorded by Notary Simone Galea. Its site served as a burial place for a great benefactor of Lija's parish church, cleric Giacomo Abela who died during the 1676 plague. Bishop Cannaves decreed the annual blessing of his tomb during November.
Nativity of Our Lady Tal-Mirakli
This church was built between 1664 and 1666 to replace an older and smaller pre 1570 chapel in the little village of 'Hal-Bordi' on the outskirts of Lija. It is square with simple doric architecture, a rounded ceiling and a hexagonal structure supporting the dome. Mattia Preti painted the titular and it is one of his finest works. On the 20th February 1743 the painting of Our Lady & Baby Jesus was said to have shed tears and the very next day, Malta was struck by a major earthquake yet no buildings fell or any people were killed. Word of the alleged miracle spread quickly. In 1747 Bishop De Bussan wrote about the popularity of the church. Marriages may be celebrated here. Dedication date 23rd Dec. 1787. It is said to be in the exact centre of Malta.
|Nativity of Our Lady tal-Mirakli|
This was the first church to be built in Lija. Erected in 1594 and serving as the first parish church, it was rebuilt in 1628 according to an inscription on the facade. Today it is used for meetings by religious Associations. St.Andrew's Band Club across the street took its name from this church.
In a 1762 report, mentioned existing within the then limits of Lija.
In 1971 the Ursuline Sisters built an institute or a refuge for abused women. It also contains a small chapel dedicated to St.Paul.
First chapel on this site was built in the 16th century. In 1658 it was deconsecrated and built again in 1724. The belfry is from 1950. It is situated near a Dominican monastery and home for the elderly. The Dominican Sisters have been in charge of this chapel since 1916.