|Please visit my Hamrun project for more detail.|
|St.Cajetan Parish Church
In the mid 19th Century in Hamrun there were only two small churches, not enough to accomodate the population as it grew. A new church was built and was dedicated to St.Cajetan of Thiene, the namesake of the bishop of the time, Mgr.Gaetano Pace Forno. The church was opened for worship in 1875 and in 1881 it became the parish church of Hamrun. The dome was only built 80 years later, in 1955. Dedication date: 26th September 1930.
|Pre Vat II Sanctuary|
|Immaculate Conception Parish Church
The area between Hamrun and Gwardamanga developed rapidly after WWII, and the need of a church for the area was soon felt, so the present church was built and it became the parish church of the area in 1968. On the 25th June 1983, the titular mosaic work and a new tabernacle were inaugurated. In November 1986, the titular statue was donated by the confraternity of the Immaculate Conception of Valletta, whilst in 1987 work began on the paving of the church floor in granite. This church straddles the way where the railway used to pass up to the early 30's. Dedication date: 28th May 1988.
|The church being built in 1960|
This chapel was built in 1973 on the 2nd floor of #2 Hamrun Centre of M.U.S.E.U.M. the premises of the male section of Saint George Preca's catechism institution.
Starting as a small Oratory in 1923 where Paul Burlo' gathered kids for catechism, a small garage space in Our Lady of Sorrows street became, in 1941, a fully fledged chapel where all the liturgy was celebrated. When the basement of the new parish church was roofed in, in 1958, the church was transferred there and the old space became a club. The old titular is nowadays kept in the Parish office.
|Immaculate Conception chapel|
|Our Lady of Atocia
An old chapel dedicated to St.Nicholas used to exist on Ta' Braxia heights. By 1575, it was in ruins so Mons. Dusina ordered it deconsecrated. In its place was built 'Our Lady of Atocia' church still standing and in regular use. The church titular painting is a copy of the image of Our Lady of Atocia (Antiochia), vernerated in Madrid. It was brought to Malta from Spain in 1631. In old documents of various pastoral visits it is mentioned by different names such as Our Lady of Guadalupe or Our Lady of Loreto. Because of the dark appearance of Our Lady in the Icon, the church was nicknamed 'Tas-Samra' - 'of the dark skinned one'. During the French blockade in 1798 - 1800, its roof was used as a watch-tower by the Maltese because of its strategic position on a hill overlooking the Valletta main gate. At the beginning of the 20th century the church was kept closed, but was opened again for the faithful by Saint George Preca. Nowadays it is open daily and marriages may be held in it. During a 2009 inside restoration, Mass was held at the adjoining Sisters' hall at the back.
|Our Lady of Atocia||Icon close-up|
|Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal
The small church forms part of the Headquarters of the M.U.S.E.U.M. Society of Christian Doctrine and its building started in 1958. It was opened to the public in 1964. The remains of Saint George Preca the founder, lie in its crypt, which is another chapel on its own. Marriages may be celebrated in the church. It lies on the grounds of a deconsecrated Cemetery for Plague victims.
|Comparing the statue on top for size|
|Being built 1960|
|Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal|
|The chapel of the Blessed Sacrament in the crypt downstairs|
|Inside the chapel|
|Our Lady of Porto Salvo Santunnuzzu
Originally built in 1645 by the Vice Chancellor of the Order of St John Commandery Fra Eugenio Ramirez Maldonato attached to his palace, this church is dedicated to Our Lady of Safe Haven (Porto Salvo). It was rebuilt by Margherita, wife of Cleric Antonio (Tunnuccio) Agius (hence the nickname Santunnuzzu - from ta' Tunnucciu). It was blessed by Bishop Alpheran in 1750 and served as a subsidiary parish till the church of St.Cajetan was built. It was also recorded by the title of the Visitation in one document and on a plaque inside bearing the date 1763. The Discalced Carmelites of Cospicua took care of this church when theirs in Cospicua was bombed during WWII. Through a very narrow spiral staircase, one can reach the tiny organ loft and a few rooms over the sacristy. The church is nowadays used for Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Marriages may be held in this church. (I served as an Altar boy from 1946 to 1955 and was married there in 1964).
|A replacement cross for the facade in place March 2014|
|Our Lady of Sorrows
In 1951 a centre for the teaching of catechism by members of the Legion of Mary was opened in a house given to the parish by the brewers Farsons Ltd. Later on a church was built on the site, and today marriages may be celebrated there.
|Our Lady of Sorrows|
|Queenship of Mary
Chapel 'Maria Regina tal-Qlub' in an institute (Tas-Sa' Karm) for young orphan girls. Demolished by enemy action in 1941, a new one was built in 1982.
Adjacent to the Parish church of St.Cajetan, an oratory dedicated to the Sacred Heart was built in 1895 to hold the Sacrament during Good Friday and also during the St.Cajetan feast. It also had storage for vestments and banners belonging to the various congregations taking part in processions. After serving as a chapel for the celebration of mixed marriages during pre Vatican II days, and as a choir rehearsal hall for quite a few decades, in the 70's, the altar was removed and the building refurbished as a parish hall for meetings of diverse groups and ministries.
|Sacred Heart oratory|
|Hamrun Choir official photo in the sanctuary Early 1960s|
|Sacred Heart Nuzzo Institute
The 'Nuzzo' Sisters of the Sacred Heart were founded in 1901. They took possession of the house which is right behind 'Our Lady of Atocia' church, in 1903. A beautiful chapel was built in 1932 and inaugurated by Bishop Mauro Caruana. It is situated on the first floor over a ground floor hall. Another door beside the Atocia church leads to the convent.
|Sacred Heart chapel of Nuzzo Institute|
|St.Francis of Assisi
The Franciscans Minor opened a small chapel in a garage space in Villambrosa street Hamrun in 1947, but they soon felt the need of building a larger church as the population in the area was increasing rapidly. The church was built in 1952 and dedicated in 1955. It has a concrete roof and dome and a huge statue of St.Francis with open arms on top of its tall belfry. Inside, on the left side of the high altar, there is a special chapel for devotion to Our Lady of Perpetual Help. Marriages may be celebrated in the church. The titular behind the main altar is a statue in marble. Dedication date: 25th May 1955.
|Top Left: Temporary chapel.
Top Middle: Before the belfry with the statue on top was ready.
Right: In 1960 before the area around it was built up.
|Our Lady of Perpetual Help chapel|
|St.Francis of Assisi belfry and high Altar|
|St Francis Stigmatized
Chapel of Fra Diegu Institute. Here in 1913, Archbishop Pietro Pace ordained deacon Guzeppi Pace his nephew, a priest. Guzeppi Pace would in 1944 become the Bishop of Gozo successor to Bishop M Gonzi who in turn became Archbishop of Malta. Chevalier Joseph Scicluna was the main contributor for the building of the Institute and its chapel while Madre Margherita was the foundress of the Franciscan Order which runs the place.
A chapel serving a convent and a private school for girls run by the nuns.
Beautiful modern and spacious chapel designed with the new building at the St.Paul Home for the aged run by the 'Little sisters of the poor'. The plan was by Architects Bezzina & Cole. This chapel replaced an older original one of which the old door was kept. Part of this home is the historical "Blacas" palace and has been preserved.
|St.Paul chapel at St.Paul's Home for the aged.|
|Door from the old chapel|