|Our Lady of Loreto New Parish Church
This is the second parish church of Ghajnsielem. With the pressure of increase in the population of Ghajnsielem, the Pastor Frangisk Mizzi and a committee decided to build a bigger church. The first stone of this new church was laid on 23rd October 1923 a few hundred yards away from the old one. Work on the building was stopped several times including at the onset of WWI and because of two accidents. Four architects replaced each other as years went by, but at last the building was finally completed with the blessing of the bell tower in June 1979. The church itself had been blessed a year earlier, on 29th August 1978.
|The New parish church of Our Lady of Loreto. The different patinas on the stone reveals the stages in time taken in building it.|
|Our Lady of Loreto Old parish Church
The Old Parish Church of Ghajnsielem is situated in Independence Square, right in the centre of the old part of the town. The first stone was laid in 1810 by the Archpriest of Nadur and the building was completed by 1820. As the population of Ghajnsielem grew the church had to be extended and works to enlarge it started in 1867. The church was completely finished in 1877. The building of the old church boasts a titular painting of our Lady of Loreto by the artist Michele Busuttil and no less than four masterpieces by Guiseppe Cali.
|Our Lady of Loreto the old parish church|
|Our Lady of Lourdes
Situated on a promontory overlooking Mgarr Harbour it has spectacular view up to the Island of Malta. A statue of the Virgin Mary of Lourdes sculpted by Antonio Busuttil was placed in a natural cavity beneath the promontory on 25th March 1879. It was blessed by Bishop Pietro Pace on 3rd June 1888. On that occasion the Bishop urged devotees to help him raise funds for a chapel. The foundation stone was laid on the 10th June 1888 and it was opened and blessed on 27th August 1893. It was consecrated on 17th February 1949. Inside, the chapel has a ribbed, Gothic vaulted roof, and is dominated by a statue of the Virgin Mary of Lourdes sculpted by Carlo Darmanin and donated by Karolina Mamo-Bruno on 17th September 1893. The feast is celebrated on the 11th February, the date of Our Lady's first apparition at Lourdes.
|St.Anthony of Padova Ta Giezu
In 1901 a plot of land was donated to the Franciscan Friars Minor to build their own convent and erect a church. The plans for the convent were drawn by Fr.Joseph Diacono. The work commenced immediately and the first part of the convent was completed in 1902. The bishop Mons Giovanni M.Camilleri blessed a temporary chapel. All the construction of the church was paid for by Joseph Sultana a businessman from Nadur. In charge of the building was Mr Wigi Vella who was also responsible for the design. On completion, Bishop Camilleri blessed the church on the 28th of October 1906. Lately the tabernacle was built anew from what used to be the marble and decorations of the pre-Vatican II main altar. In this church there are paintings by Lazzaro Pisani.
|St.Anthony of Padova church|
|The new tabernacle|
|The church in 1910|
Chapel in 'Home' of same name. Run by Augustinian sisters.
A chapel used to exist in a tower built in 1605 by Grandmaster Martin Garzes. A document recording the pastoral visit of Don Pietro Francesco Pontemoli of 1621 refers to four soldiers who resided there on regular guard duty and for whose spiritual needs a small chapel was built inside, dedicated to St.Catherine of Siena. The original chapel would have been rededicated to St.Martin after the tower underwent repairs in 1617. In 1848 the tower was sadly demolished and its material used for building a road from Mgarr to Nadur.
|Garzes Tower overlooking Mgarr|
|Our Lady of Grace Fort Chambray
Between 1800 and 1928, during the British stay at Fort Chambray, there were two chapels, one for Catholics and another for Anglicans.
The Roman Catholic chapel situated close to the Notre Dame della Qala Bastion (Westside near the entrance), next to the barracks raised by the Knights. It had a single altar and a bell on the roof. When members of the Society of Jesus came to Gozo to run the Seminary (1866-1909), it was usually an English Jesuit who officiated in this chapel.
Anglican chapel Fort Chambray
This is close to Saint Anthony Bastion (overlooking the North of ix-Xatt l-Ahmar) next to the cemetery. It later served as a Catholic chapel for the patients of the Chambray hospital when the fort was handed over to the civil authorities.