Fontana
HOME
Towns and Villages. Index
FONTANA
Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish Church
Most of the fishermen that operated from the fishing village of Xlendi lived in Fontana. Late in the nineteenth century, they began setting aside part of the proceeds from their catches to construct a church. The foundation stone of the church was laid on 29 January 1892. The church was consecrated thirteen years to that day in 1904, and was dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in 1905. The church was established as parish church of Fontana on 27 March 1911 under Bishop Giovanni Maria Camilleri. It has beautiful paintings on the inside of the dome and ceiling.
Bottom pictures by Jasmine Grech
Early 20th Century