|St.Publius Parish Church
The church of St.Publius was still being built when Floriana became a subsidiary of the parish of St.Paul in Valletta. The church was finished in 1768 and became the Parish church of Floriana on the 15th March 1844 dedication. Its facade and belfies were completely altered at the turn of the century. It was hit by enemy bombing during WWII and part of the facade and the dome were demolished. Everything was reconstructed after the war.
|Turn of the century|
|WWII damage||St.Publius in the 21st Century|
In the Annunzjata Centre there is a Chapel open for Perpetual Adoration Monday to Friday.
The Maltese constabulary has a chapel in their Headquarters at Floriana.
|Chapel Sir Paul Boffa Hospital
This smaller hospital which caters for Radiotherapy, Dermatology and other facilities, has a little chapel for patients' and visitors' use.
|Church of the Invalids
Reported to exist within Floriana limits in 1762 when Mons. B.Rull restored its ecclesiastical immunity.
|Flight to Egypt
Nestled between stores from the time of Grandmaster Pinto and built in 1752, this church lies further down from that of Liesse in Valletta. This too suffered war damage and was restored. Its location is disputed as being in Floriana or Valletta since it is on the Harbour waterfront beneath the Valletta bastions.
|Flight to Egypt church|
The Capuchin friary and church at Floriana were built on the initiative of Grandmaster Loubenx de Verdalle in 1588-89. The church was only ready in 1773 when it was dedicated. According to A Ferres by 1866 this church had its dedication temporarily changed to the Virgin of Purity. The church and friary were completely destroyed by bombs during WWII but rebuilt by 1955. In this friary there is the: Provincial Curia; Mission Secretariat; SFO National Centre; House of Formation for Post-Novices; Province Museum and Library.
|Left - Pre WWII
Right - After 1942 air raid.
|Holy Cross church as it stands nowadays.|
|Immaculate Conception Sarria
Sarria church was built in 1585 by the Portuguese knight Martin Sarria Navarra and dedicated it to 'Del Soccorso' - Our Lady Of Perpetual Help. After the plague of 1675 the Order of St.John built in its place another church dedicated to the Immaculate Conception. Each year, on the feast of the Immaculate Conception, a votive procession left St.John's and stopped at Sarria church where prayers of thanksgiving were recited. The last time the procession was held was in 1995.
|Immaculate Conception 'Sarria'|
|Our Lady of Lourdes
In 1706 the Knight Gotenberg built a small chapel dedicated to St.Mary Magdalen to be used as a refuge for people going to confession at the Capuchin friary. The chapel was rebuilt in 1918 and re-dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes.
|Our Lady of Lourdes chapel|
|Our Lady of Manresa / St.Calcedonius Martyr
Back to back chapels situated in the Old Seminary built with the rest of the complex, in 1740 by the Jesuits. Manresa chapel boasts of paintings by Antoine de Favray. St.Calcedonius chapel contains the remains of the Saint brought from Prestato Italy in 1753. These are kept in an elaborate urn within the altar. During WWII the building suffered severe damage but was rebuilt soon afterwards. Lately after the seminary was transferred to Tal-Virtu in Rabat, the building started to be used as the Archbishop's Curia.
|Our Lady of Manresa|
Built in 1643 by Grandmaster Lascaris overlooking Lazzaretto to accommodate those in quarantine in a way they could at least watch Mass from across the harbour. Having just space enough for the priest to celebrate Mass, it was situated behind where now there is the Phoenicia Hotel on the bastions close to the watch tower. It was destroyed by enemy action during WWII. Part of one of its walls and the stone altar with the 8 pointed cross of the knights survive nowadays. In July 2014 it was rebuilt as part of the restoration of the bastions.
|Photos: Times of Malta|
Built between 1881 and 1883 to replace the one near the upper Barracca gardens, this building was the first in Malta to be equipped with electric incandescent lamps. On the departure of the British in the 1970's, it was handed over to the Maltese authorities and is now used as an auditorium for cultural presentations. It has been renamed Robert Samut Hall after the composer of the Maltese National Anthem. It has a neo-Gothic facade with elaborate carving that can be seen nowhere else in Malta.
Early in the 19th century the first Protestant chapel was organized in the 'Ospizio' which was originally a powder mill built by the Knights and converted to a hospice for the poor and destitute by the British. Only the main door and some derelict walls remain nowadays.
|19th century pictures of the Ospizio|