Bormla
HOME
Towns and Villages. Index
Bormla

Immaculate Conception Parish Church
The old church Del Soccorso (Of Perpetual Help) was built before the Great Siege of 1565 when it was customary to retain within it the Holy Eucharist notwithstanding that it was not yet a parish church. On the 6th December 1581 a confraternity dedicated to the Immaculate Conception was founded in this church. ln 1602, when this church had been already functioning as a parish church for some fifteen years, its titular was described as the Immaculate Conception of Perpetual Help. In 1621, its altar piece, portraying the crowning of Our Lady, was surrounded by various scenes from Her life and Christ's life. From the last decades of the 17th century, Her feast was held with great solemnity. This parish church underwent various structural modifications particularly between 1680 and 1730. On the 22nd April 1755, Bishop Paul Alpheran de Bussan approved a sodality of priests at Bormla's parish church, which he also dedicated to the Immaculate Conception. It was further elevated to the dignity of a collegiate church in 1822. A new altarpiece provided during the 19th century, was crowned by Cardinal Ferrata on the 25th June 1905, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the promulgation of the dogma of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin. Dedication date: 25th May 1732.

Holy Crucifix (Our Lady of Sorrows)
Built annexed to the Parish church in 1710, this Oratory merits particular mention. In addition to its outstanding architectural beauty and its sculpture in stone, it possesses two paintings by Mattia Preti and four by Francesco Zahra. Its centre of attraction, however, is the niche where the miraculous statue of Jesus the Redeemer is exposed for the perpetual veneration of the faithful.

Chapel
Of the Missionaries of Charity situated in St.Paul's Street.

Chapel
The Franciscan Sisters opened their school in Bormla in 1889. The convent and school were totally destroyed by bombs during WWII, but were rebuilt so that the sisters could continue their mission of educating and teaching children.

Holy Family
This Chapel can be found in the 'Domus', which is a centre for the teaching of Catechism to children.

Nativity of Our Lady
The Knight Santarena built this church in 1602 within a garden, which belonged to the French Langue of the Order of St John. The records of a Notary dated 11th May 1557 provide the details of this church's foundation. Commandery Fra Gio. Ant. Perdicomati founded an altar in honour of St.Helen in this church before 1634. It was referred to as St.Helen from Santa Liena, a corruption of the Knight's last name. This church was canonically deconsecrated in 1659, but reopened to public worship in 1667.

Our Lady of Fatima
Chapel at the Ursuline sisters monastery built after WWII and blessed 25th Oct 1956. Nowadays Mass is celebrated there only on special feasts.

Our Lady of Light (The Church that never was!)
Antonio Bugeja and his wife Margerita planned to build a church in Bormla with this dedication and endow it with an ecclesiastical living. The parish priest offered some objections, since the feast of Our Lady under that title was already being celebrated in the parish church itself. Nevertheless, Bishop Alpheran de Bussan gave his consent on the 10th of March 1746. On the 9th February of the same year, the benefactors had duly signed the deed of this foundation, which was recorded by Notary Michael Angelo Saliba. But this plan does not seem to have ever materialized as there is no reference whatsoever to such a church in the records of all subsequent Pastoral Visits.

Sacred Heart (Dockyard Chapel)
There were numerous civilian and naval personnel attached to the Royal Naval Dockyard in the area known at 'The Three Cities'. An ex-sail loft on the quayside in Bormla was set aside and converted into a Chapel. It was first used on 12th September 1819, enlarged in 1824, a gallery later being built, and improved up to 1876. The Dockyard Chapel continued to be used until WWII in June 1940 when buildings housing it were badly damaged in an air raid and made it unusable.

St.Francis de Paul
The Church was located on the opposite side of Bormla in the French Creek under Corradino Heights forming part of the de Sousa estate. Built by Bali Fra Francesco de Sousa e Menezes in 1747, it had a parvis in front of it. The Grand Prior of the Order of St John, Fra Bartolomeo Rull who later restored its ecclesiastical immunity in 1762, blessed the Church, which had a small dome. It then became part of the Cospicua parish. At the end of the 18th century, this Church sustained damage during the Maltese uprising against the French. It was later repaired and re-blessed under the patronage of Fra Ferdinando Mattei, Archbishop of Malta. From 1814 onwards this Church passed under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Malta. In 1903,¬İin their eagerness to promote their navy, the British built two dry-docks in Ghajn Dwieli inlet. This was when the church of St Francis de Paul was dismantled.

St.John Almoner (T'Ghuxa)
Outside the Vittoriosa fortifications since 1373 there existed a church dedicated to St.John Almoner. Grandmaster Nicola Cotoner demolished the church when the Cottonera lines were built and a new church was erected on higher ground in 1680. This church was extensively damaged during WWII. It has been restored but not yet in use.

St.John Baptist De La Salle
In 1903 the Christian teaching Brothers founded by St John Baptist de la Salle opened their first school in Malta. It was situated in Sda Buongiorno, Bormla. They also installed a chapel there.

St.Joseph
In 1810 the first floor and in 1888 the second floor of the conservatory were built though the institution was founded in 1725. The present Church and buildings are post WWII. The Ursuline sisters run it.

St.Margaret
Chapel in the monastery which was built as an orphanage in 1726 by two priests, aided by a lady who with some of her friends took care of the orphanage. The women later took the habit of the second order of Carmelites and in 1739 seventeen nuns made their religious profession before Bishop Alpheran de Bussan. The church was built in 1739 and dedicated on the 28th Oct 1787

St.Paul
The church was built in 1741 on the site of an older church built in 1590. Nowadays Perpetual Adoration is held here Monday to Saturday 7.00am to 6.00pm. Marriages may be celebrated in the church.

St.Therese
The church and friary of the Discalced Carmelites were built in 1625 and for over two centuries they were the only church and friary, which the Discalced Carmelites had in Malta. The church has a small crypt underneath. Dedication date 18th March 1797.

St.Thomas
This small chapel exists on the ramparts and is well hidden from the passer-by.

Anglican Church (Xatt ir-risq)
This small chapel built by the British in 1855 existed on a hill by the shore (Xatt ir-risq) and was known as the Cospicua Chapel School and as its name implies was used both as a chapel and as a school.