|Assumption Parish Church
Attard became a parish in 1575, the present parish church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin being built between 1613 and 1616. It has the shape of a Latin Cross designed in a Baroque and Renaissance style (the only one in Malta not altered), by the renowned architect Thomas Dingli. The church comprises a main nave, two side chapels forming a transept, a choir area, 10 altars and two sacristies. It was consecrated on the 7th May 1730 by Mons.Alpheran. The belfry was built in 1718 while the sacristy on the right hand side of the church was built in 1740 and the one on the right in 1856. The church parvis was originally built in 1891 however this was damaged during WWII and rebuilt in 1958. Dedication date 7th May 1730.
|Assumption Parish Church||Inside photo by Jasmine Grech|
|Assumption (Old Church)
Built in 1500 and mentioned by Dusina in 1575 and closed to public worship in 1658, it was renovated in 1725. After being hit by enemy bombs in 1942, it was condemned as a building. It was completely demolished by 1962.
|Assumption Old Church|
|During the actual air-raid|
|Annunciation (Hal Warda)
This Assumption church was under the care of Grazio Attard and is mentioned in 1575 by Mons. Dusina. Around 1588 it was rededicated to the Annunciation and in 1723 it was completely rebuilt.
In a seventeenth century restored Palazzo which has come up for sale lately, there is also a private chapel.
|John Paul II Eucharistic Chapel
John Paul II Parish Centre has a Eucharistic Chapel open daily from 5am to 10pm.
|Nativity of Our Lady (Also known as Our Lady of Victory) ta' Djar Zara or Tal-Kaccatur
A benefice of Mdina Cathedral, the church which lies on the Rabat Road was first built in 1431. In 1644 its altar piece, representing the Nativity of Our Lady, with St Paul and St Anthony the Abbot on each side, was already very old. The church was rebuilt in 1754. It was demolished by bombs in WWII but the image of the Virgin venerated in the church did not suffer any damage. The church was rebuilt in 1956 and it soon became a centre of devotion again. It is sometimes referred to as the Immaculate Conception.
|Our Lady of Carmel
Mount Carmel Hospital Chapel. Malta's main hospital for mental and psychiatric health has a small chapel within the premises for patients' and visitors' use.
|Our Lady of Carmel|
|Our Lady of Pilar
The smaller of the two chapels in the official residence of the President of Malta at San Anton Palace, was built in the latter half of the 18th century.
Another church built in 1500, rebuilt in 1614 and renovated in 1750. In 1942 it received a direct hit from enemy air raids. The stone altar and some foundations of this octagonal church could still be seen up to the late 1950's
|St.Anthony The Russian chapel
Built to accommodate Prince Alfred duke of Edimbugh's Russian wife the Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna. This is the larger of the two Chapels at San Anton Palace.
|The Russian Chapel after restoration|
The chapel of St.Catherine's Home was built in 1959 by the Dominican sisters as part of a private hospital. Nowadays the hospital has become a home for the elderly.
|Chapel of St.Catherine|
Originally it was built in 1500 and served as parish church until 1616 (Meanwhile being dedicated temporarily to the Assumption). The present structure dates from 1729 and for a while it was used to house church furnishings. It was restored in 2006 and after that used for religious and cultural purposes. Lately (July 2011) it was used as the venue for the creation of a new group called "Friends of Maltese Chapels".
|Chapel of St.Paul|
Commonly called St.Anne, this church is dedicated to St.Roque and was built as a thanksgiving for deliverance from the plague of 1675 whose victims used to be buried near it. The cemetery area is now a centre for teaching Christian doctrine by members of the M.U.S.E.U.M.