|Where is Mississauga?|
| The city of Mississauga lies in the Canadian Province of Ontario.
It is situated in the Region of Peel, in the Great Lakes area, in the Golden Horseshoe, the most heavily populated area of Canada.
To its North is the city of Brampton; to its South, Lake Ontario; to its East the city of Toronto and to its West the towns of Milton and Oakville.
Most of the main arterial highways pass through it. 401, 403, 410, 407 and the Q.E.W.
|CANADA||PROVINCE OF ONTARIO|
|THE GOLDEN HORSESHOE||MISSISSAUGA IN PEEL REGION|
| The City of Mississauga celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2004. It is Canada's sixth largest city with a population of more than 700,000. With well-established infrastructure and state-of-the-art facilities, the City delivers quality municipal programs and services to its citizens. Mississauga is ranked as a top 100 employer and is recognized as Canada's safest city.
|Mayor Hazel McCallion|
|Mississauga City Hall
Living Arts Centre
Native Indians have lived around this area for thousands of years. In the 1600s, when explorers arrived, Iroquois and Algonquins lived in the Credit River Valley area.
One group around the Credit River was called the Mississaugas. They were Ojibways who came from Lake Huron and stayed with the Iroquois. By 1700, the Mississaugas had driven the Iroquois away.
In 1805, the government of the settlers bought part of the land from the Mississaugas who did not sell all of their land, keeping a swath of about a mile on either side of the Credit River. The settlers called the land around this area 'Toronto Township'.
But in a couple of decades, the Mississaugas also sold this strip of land to a new government in 1829, keeping a small land reserve for their own village.
Between 1820 and 1826, the Mississaugas lived in various locations in the area. In 1826, they lived in a village built for them by the British Government on the south bank of the Credit River where the Mississauga Golf Club is situated nowadays with only a historic plaque to commemorate them.
A surveyor, Timothy Street finished setting out the area and so Toronto Township opened to immigrants.
|The old villages
Named after Dr.Beaumont Dixie, in 1865, in part, because he had donated money to the Union Chapel built in 1816
Clarkson was named after Warren Clarkson who had settled there.
Cooksville at the intersection of Hurontario and Dundas Streets was named in 1836 in honour of its leading entrepreneur Jacob Cook.
1834 saw the start of a settlement here then the government gave the Port Credit Harbour Company $11,500 to rebuild the harbour facilities and the place really began to expand, exporting lumber and grain. There were also Starch works and a Brickyard.
In 1880 the first Catholic church of St Mary Star of the Sea in Port Credit was built and in 1953 a newer one was erected. It was made a Parish in 1914 and is celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2014. The Peel Separate School board owes its origins to this community as also the first Catholic Cemetery of St.Mary in Mississauga.
The surveyor Timothy Street settled there with his family in 1825. They built their family home, a sawmill, a gristmill and a tannery.
In 1819, the first Irish settlers from New York led by John Beatty arrived.
In 1831, Beatty sold his land to James Crawford who opened saw and carding mills in the village. Meadowvale Village became Ontario's first Heritage Conservation District in 1980.
Settled in 1823 by Samuel Moore. During the 1840s Richard Halliday the local blacksmith and innkeeper arrived and named the settlement Malton, after his home town in England. Malton is the home of Pearson International Airport.
In May 1822, Thomas Racey, bought a block of land along the Credit River, sold part of his land to settlers who built a post office, saw mills and the Township's first Anglican church. This settlement became known as Springfield. In 1887 the Anglican church of St.Peter was built, still stands and has just celebrated its 170th anniversary.
** All of these villages, except for Port Credit and Streetsville, were joined together in 1968 to form the Town of Mississauga. In 1974, Mississauga incorporated as a City, this time including Port Credit and Streetsville. Forming part of Peel region, Mississauga has become Canada's sixth largest city.
| Mississauga has two museums which show us how life was in the early 19th and 20th centuries. Consisting of two historic houses, Benares Historic House and Bradley Museum, they enable us to take a step back into the time of the settlers and the beginnings of the villages which make up our city.
Benares Historic House 1918
This estate was home to four generations of the Harris and Sayers families. It has been restored to its original elegance of the early 20th century.
Located in Clarkson, it is built in Georgian style and filled with original family possessions. It is said to have been the inspiration for Canadian author Mazo de la Roche's famed 'Whiteoaks of Jalna' novels.
Bradley House Museum 1830
This salt-box style farmhouse was the home of United Empire Loyalist Lewis Bradley, his wife Elizabeth and their seven children. It has been restored to show how the early settlers lived.
On the grounds there is also an Ontario Regency-style cottage originally the retirement home of British sea captain John Skynner, from the early 19th century.
| Mississauga has lots to offer as regards community facilities. In each ward there are numerous parks which have picnic areas and services for outdoor entertainment. Some also have leash free zones.
The city has a number of Community centres some of which have fitness facilities. Most of these centres have been rebuilt and modernized quite recently.
The Central library is situated at the Square One complex and is equipped with audio and video sections and also with computers connected to the Net. There is a flow of books and media among this and the branch libraries, some of which are situated in the community centres themselves.
Sport facilities include arenas, outdoor rinks, indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts and golf courses. Walking trails can be found in the green belt and park areas while there is an increasing number of bike lanes being set out especially in the lakeshore area.
| Excavation of the site began in 1969 and the opening ceremony in 1973 caused a huge traffic jam on Highway 10 and Burnhamthorpe Road that lasted into the night. More than 160,000 people showed up. Further major expansions and refurbishings were made in 1986, 1988, 2000 and 2005.
In 2004, Square One celebrated its 30th Anniversary. With over 360 stores and services, it is now one of the largest shopping malls in Canada. It is also at the heart of the city, surrounded by the Civic Centre, the Central Library, the Living Arts Centre, as well as the Playdium, the Famous Player/Imax theatres, and multiple restaurants. All around it, office towers and condominiums are mushrooming by the dozen. Contained in the area is Mississauga's main bus terminus.
|The Living Arts Centre
This facility opened in 1997 in Mississauga`s City Centre with over 225,000 sq ft of performance, studio and exhibition space. It has two main theatres: Hammerson Hall and The RBC Theatre. The Centre's seven craft/arts studios have professional resident artists and also dozens of classes for all ages. Laidlaw Hall presents constantly changing art exhibitions. There are also meeting and conference rooms for community and businesses.
The Living Arts Centre serves as the performance outlet for dozens of Mississauga arts organizations and community cultural groups and also visiting artists and groups such as vocalists, instrumentalists, ensembles and even Opera groups.
Visual Arts Mississauga
|The Train Derailment
On the evening of November 10, 1979, a Canadian Pacific train lost one of its wheels, resulting in the derailment of 24 wagons. Included were six dangerous ingredients: propane, caustic soda, styrene, fibre glass insulation and chlorine. These flammable liquids and vapours caused massive explosions that could be seen more than 100 kilometres away.
Evacuations began two hours after the explosion. In total, 218,000 residents had been asked to leave their homes. It was almost a week before many would return home. With no fatalities or serious injuries, many considered the derailment the 'Mississauga Miracle.'
The Mississauga Train Derailment evacuation remains the largest peacetime evacuation in North American history.
WE WERE THERE AND WE SURVIVED!
| NOV.10 1979
MAVIS RD. JUST NORTH OF DUNDAS STR.