|Given its central location in the island, it is fitting that Hamrun has the largest concentration of schools in Malta. The first primary school in Hamrun was opened by Governor Le Merchant around 1813 and the premises were near Atocia church. As the population increased, an annex was opened in an old house. This too was not enough, the need for a bigger school being felt more and more. The people of the area had already been petitioning the governor of the time for a school for boys and girls since 1861 together with permission to build a large church and recognition of Hamrun as an autonomous suburb. After WWII a technical school was opened where Hamrun had its railway station, and this lasted up to the 1960s when proper technical facilities were built at Paola. Nowadays the government runs all kind of schools in Hamrun, from Kindergarten through Primary and Secondary schools to Post Secondary, and also schools specializing in different areas and catering for special groups.|
|Dun Frans Camilleri school lies behind the police station of St.Paul Square and dates back from 1888-1889, when The Hamrun parish church was only a few years old. Above the doorways of the school are busts of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert respectively and next to these figures are those of a boy and a girl. During World War I , the premises were used as a temporary hospital for wounded military officers.|
|It was also used as a Lyceum for boys up to 1955 when it catered for years 1 to 3. When the new Lyceum was built in Hamrun, the premises reverted back to a primary school and was then called Hamrun Mixed. The ground floor was used as a boys school while the upper floor was for girls. It later developed into an A school on the ground floor and a B school on the first floor, the A catering for children of kindergarten level up to year 3 with the B for the years of primary schooling. In 1995 the school became a C school catering for kindergarten level up to year 7. It has a staff of 20 teachers and 6 facilitators with one principal and one assistant. I had the honour of studying in it when it was a Lyceum and then teaching there for three years in the early 1960's. A bust of Dun Frans Camilleri stands on a wall shelf in the ground floor hall. Please see section Pastors and Priests for more about Dun Frans Camilleri.|
|Salvinu Spiteri / Dun Gorg Preca / Nuzzo was built 1919/20 and was always a primary school with a junior or infant section as Kindergarten used to be called. The Girls had the top floor and the juniors and boys the ground floor.|
|Salvinu Spiteri is the Primary A school catering for all of Hamrun and part of St.Venera. It has a population of 350 pupils and a staff of 30 with a principal and two assistants.
Dun Gorg Preca is the Primary B school catering for the same area. It has a pupil population of 240, 13 teachers, one principal and one assistant.
Maria Teresa Nuzzo Girls' School caters for the low ability female students aged between 10 and 16 years located in the same premises with around 100 pupils.
|These premises comprised the largest school of its time in Malta, taking one whole block bounded by streets all around. During WWII, it housed refugees while the children were taught in the premises of the two band clubs. In the late 1940s a missing section of the upper floor was completed. The large yard is used by all three schools.|
|Dun Guzepp Zammit Brighella
Boys' Junior Lyceum built in the mid 1950s, took the place of two buildings, one in Hamrun and the other in Valletta, which housed the different classes. As a Lyceum it traces its origins back to the 1590s and the school badge still bears part of the coat of arms of Bishop Garagallo. It is situated in Wenzu Mallia street and is named after the priest poet who was well versed in Latin literature.
|Maria Regina first opened in 1959 as a grammar school. In 1973, it became a General Secondary School, then it saw another change in 1981 when it became the first Junior Lyceum for girls in Malta. It has a vast campus in which we find other specialized Post Secondary groups and is situated close to Blata l-Bajda. Photo Right......|
|Mikielang Borg Drama Centre is a Post Secondary branch run by the government within the premises of Maria Regina Secondary school.
Media Education & Broadcasting Centre
(MEBC) is another Post Secondary branch in the vast premises of Maria Regina in Mile End Street.
|Maria Assumpta Girls' Secondary School was first known as Girls' Technical School. Built in 1957 on the plan of architect J.E.Consiglio and funded by UNESCO, it was the first of its kind in Malta. In February 1960 it was given its present name. Besides the usual subjects at secondary level the students were also offered shorthand and typing as well as weaving, pottery, and craft.|
|With the introduction of Secondary Education for all in 1970 the school underwent another change as the word "Technical" was deleted from its name and it became a Secondary School like several others all over the island. At present the school has a population of around 700 students. It is situated on Farsons Street in the south western part of Hamrun called ta Rabbat.|
|Adelaide Cini Secondary school for girls can take about 530 students from 11 to 16 with about 70 teaching and support staff. Built in the early sixties, the building itself is now due for renovation. The name Adelaide Cini given to this Secondary School, is in honour of a 19th Century benevolent Maltese lady. She was born in 1835 into a well-to-do family and after her father's death, she established the Cini educational institute for girls.|
|Guardian Angel school was formed in the 1960's for developmentally challenged students. Being located in Hamrun, a well known shopping town, it offers various opportunities for the children to integrate socially and practice various skills learned at school such as road safety training, shopping skills, etc., helping them to integrate with other schools and the local community. They are taught an extensive curriculum of subjects. Sport helps these children with special needs develop motor skills while internet, drama, art, music therapy and other special projects give them a wide range of ways to develop their minds. The school is built with spacious accommodation and special facilities. Being surrounded by gardens it also provides a pleasant environment for everyone.|
|Mediterranean English Academy where the English language is taught up to degree level, is part of the St.Martin Institute. This branch is situated in Schembri Street, Hamrun.
Compex is a computer school sponsored by the government and offers the following: ECDL Core and Expert + Advanced Training and Testing, Programming, Imaging and Design, and Web Design. It also issues its own Certificates of Proficiency and Attendance and also International Standard and MATSEC Certificates. The premises are just opposite Maria Regina school.
|The Maltese Catholic church also sponsors some schools in Hamrun, from Kindergarten to Secondary.|
|Our Lady Immaculate at Canon Bonnici Street caters for children from first year of Kindergarten through the Primary School years up to Secondary education. This school is managed by the Franciscan Sisters of Egypt. (See Institute of the same name in the Institutions section)|
|St. Joseph of Blata l-Bajda also offers the same range of education to around 1200 girls. Dedicated on the 24th August 1957, the feast of the foundress of the community, St.Emilia de Vialar, the corner stone was blessed by Archbishop Mikiel Gonzi and the building finished by 1958 costing around $308000. This school replaced a smaller one that the sisters had in Valletta. The plans for school and convent were drawn up by architects Mortimer and Degiorgio. Picture Right.....|
|Teresa Nuzzo school dates back from the turn of the 20th century and is run by nuns. See Nuzzo Institute in section about Institutions|